Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Experiencing God in a River


 I have just returned from a week of fly fishing in the mountains of Northern Georgia and Smokies of North Carolina. Ezequiel prophesies about a river that flows from the temple all the way to the Dead Sea where it makes the water sweet and people are catching fish.  (Ezequiel 47) Having just seen and swam in the Dead Sea helps me realize what a remarkable miracle this is. At any rate I find great peace standing in rivers and especially catching fish.

I was ushered into fly fishing by Dick Lusher, a friend and former member of Madison Ave. When he and Barbara moved to Georgia we agreed to try to get together once a year and fish somewhere. This year it was on the Chattahoochae River below the Dam near Atlanta and at its beginning in the mountains.  We also fished Dukes Creek which is one of the premier trout streams in the East.
We then travel north to the Cherokee reservation and fished the Raven Fork and Oconaluftee Rivers that flow through it. My prize trout was a 20" rainbow.
 No eating here - this was all catch and release.
18" Rainbow trout in Raven Fork River


While fishing I enjoyed wonderful times in the midst of God's creation in the budding of the trees, the singing of the birds and yes, even the slipping on the rocks that left me soaked and my boots full of water. :) God is Good!
We ended our week back at the Luschers home and I had an opportunity to share some of my pictures and experience in Jordan, Israel & Egypt at their evening service. 


 It was a special treat to see Verna Steele again as well since she and William also live in Newnan GA.  Both the Lushers & Steeles have found good solid Christian churches to be active members in since leaving Madison Ave.

This Saturday Debra and I will fly out west for a week in New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona in the final big trip of my sabbatical. As this portion of the sabbatical draws to a close I'm beginning to think of how to share all that God has been showing and teaching me with our church family.
I'm looking forward to us being back together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment